Hair Restoration Specialist

Gladys Dupuy, DO -  - OB/GYN

Orchid OBGYN

Gladys Dupuy, DO

OB/GYN located in Miramar, FL

Hair loss affects men and women at nearly the same rate, with women representing about 40% of hair loss patients. Dr. Gladys Dupuy at Orchid OB/GYN offers hair restoration using platelet-rich plasma, giving you a nonsurgical option that’s effective and without side effects. If you’d like to learn more about hair restoration, call her office in Miramar, Florida, or book an appointment online.

Hair Restoration Q & A

Is hair shedding normal?

It’s normal to shed about 50-100 hairs daily because hair follicles go through growth cycles.

Each day, about 90% of your hair follicles are actively growing, while the remaining 10% are in a resting phase. During the resting phase, the hair falls out, then as the follicle cycles back to a growth phase, it grows a new hair.

What causes hair loss?

Hair loss stems from several different causes, including underlying medical conditions and hormonal changes. Your genetics, however, determine whether you’ll develop the most common type of hair loss: Androgenetic alopecia, more commonly called male-pattern and female-pattern baldness.

Hereditary baldness follows a specific pattern. Men with androgenetic alopecia develop a receding hairline and thinning on the crown. Women often notice hair loss on their part or hairline, but they experience diffuse thinning on all parts of the scalp.

What is platelet-rich plasma?

Your blood contains solid components called platelets. Platelets are packed with proteins — growth factors — that promote healing by stimulating new cell growth. Growth factors trigger the regeneration of blood vessels and collagen.

Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) refers to plasma with a higher concentration of platelets than usual. Dr. Dupuy prepares PRP in the office by drawing your blood then placing it in a centrifuge. The centrifuge separates platelets and plasma from other blood components, creating PRP that she uses for your injection.

How is hair loss treated with platelet-rich plasma?

When Dr. Dupuy injects PRP into areas of your scalp affected by hair loss, the concentrated growth factors stimulate your hair follicles, which promotes new hair growth.

Treatment with PRP effectively increases the number of new hairs in the targeted area, slows hair loss, and increases hair thickness. Specifically, PRP injections treat:

  • Male-pattern baldness
  • Female-pattern hair loss
  • Hair loss in your eyebrows or beard
  • Hair loss due to medication  

What should you expect during PRP hair restoration?

Dr. Dupuy uses a local anesthetic to ensure you’re comfortable during PRP injections.

The amount of time it takes to finish your procedure depends on the treatment area. Dr. Dupuy can give you an estimate after evaluating your scalp and developing a treatment plan.

When you’re ready to fight hair loss with hair restoration, call Orchid OB/GYN or use online booking to schedule a consultation.